Friday, March 27, 2009
Cemetery Difficulties
I have been visiting a lot of cemeteries in Onondaga county, NY for ROAGK. Some have been well kept up, but others are very sad to visit. I went to one that was in awful shape. It had been a private cemetery, but was recently taken over by the town it is in, after many years of discussion on what to do with it. There are very old stones, from the early part of the nineteenth century, many of which have had the information eroded away. The worst part is all the stones that have been broken or knocked down. I wish I had more time and could go transcribe all these little cemeteries to save the information for others. Hopefully someone in the Syracuse area will do this soon, before even more information is gone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Amanda, I know what you mean. I have been to some of my own family cemeteries and have found them to be in terrible shape. Unfortunately, they are too far from where I live for me to do any "real" work to try to repair the damage to the tombstones, etc. We are kindred spirits!
ReplyDeleteIt's nice to know I'm not alone, although sad to know what a large problem the state of older cemeteries are in.
ReplyDelete