I am very well aware of the necessity of sources, due to a couple documents I have that were not sourced and have created some problems for me.
The first of these is a pedigree chart my grandfather created, which I will talk about further as soon as I buy a scanner and can attach images of all the documents he had.
The second is a document created by Estella Nuwer Minderler on December 8, 1974. Estella is my second cousin, four times removed on my father's mother's side. Titled "The History of the Nuwers.", I was given a copy of this in elementary school by my grandmother when I was doing a family history project.
It begins, on page 3, with a "Narrative" as follows:
"Beginning in the 1840's and continuing for the next thirty years, millions of Europeans emigrated to the United States and Canada. The Nuwers of Alsace-Lorraine were an early part of this movement."
It continues with information on the town of Lancaster, Erie County, New York where they settled, biographical information on several of the people listed and a list of descendants of Anthony and Margarete (Ludwig) Nuwer (my 5th great-grandparents).
This is a wonderful item to have, as the information on the later generations is taken first hand from interviews Estella did. Unfortunately, none of it is documented and the later generations do not completely match up with research that has been done in more recent years. The most depressing part of this is that Estella mentions an immigrant relative Christine Nuwer who kept a diary of her trip across the Atlantic. It is depressing because there never was a Christine Nuwer and no one can locate the diary, to find out who had actually written it. Further discussion on the diary can be found by Brian Smith.
I want to make sure that all information I write and that gets passed on to other researchers and further generations is correct and documented as such, so that they do not have to redo the work I have already done. This will probably mean very little new research in February, which will be okay as I am waiting for quite a few New York vital records and my great-grandfather's WWI military records.
Source:
"The History of the Nuwers." Estella Nuwer Minderler, 8 Dec 1974; privately held by Amanda Acquard, [STREET ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE].


Hi, Amanda! I am also going back through Legacy to make use of sourcing the Mother and Father relationships. I did not realize this option was available until a few months after I had starting using Legacy. And like you, I am also going back and making better use of the notes section to transcribe my sources and make notes about whether or not the source mentions birth place only and not birth date, since there is not a separate place in Legacy to source birth place and birth date. Or even to make notes that the source conflicts with another source, is hard to read, etc.
ReplyDeleteJennifer, the place only is a great idea! Heading back into the sources now...
ReplyDeleteYeah, sometimes I notice that a census record may be a good source for the birth place, but the birth date suggested by the age may not match up with the birth date given or suggested in other records. Therefore, I usually create an alternate birth date as an event and put the census as a source there as well. On the assigned sources for Birth, this is where it is especially useful to put in the notes that the census is a source for the birth place only. Then in the assigned source for the alternate birth, I would put something like, "Age of 36 suggests birth of 1864."
ReplyDeleteHi Amanda (and Jennifer, too) -
ReplyDeleteJennifer inspired me to try out Legacy and I've been working on getting my source citations in order as both of you are.
I'm learning as I go, but liking the program thus far. It is time-consuming work, but so very worth it. I've already discovered several gaps that I didn't know I had - thanks to the painstaking process of beginning a new genealogy file and putting in one fact at a time.
Keep up the good work, fellow laborers! I'll be doing the same.
Lisa
Hi Lisa,
ReplyDeleteGood luck! It's nice to know we're not alone when we undertake such a large project:-)
Amanda