I am most excited about the one for my great-great-great grandfather Charles Whitehead. Based on census records and his Ontario death record, I knew he was born about 1840 in Kent, England. I assumed it was in Halstead, located in the Sevenoaks district, as this is where his family lived at the time of his birth, but I was unable to find him in the index. Recently, I realized I could search for a last name without a first name and up popped "Male Whitehead" born 1840 in the Sevenoaks district. Luckily it is him! Born 10 Oct 1840 in Halstead to Charles and Emma (Bond) Whitehead. This also confirms Emma's mother being Mary Bond who was with them in the 1861 census (she was listed as grandmother to the head, which is incorrect. Should be mother-in-law).
I also ordered the birth certificates for his two sons born in England before they immigrated to Canada. Benjamin was born 31 Oct 1866 in Halstead and Joseph was born 2 Nov 1869 in Halstead to Charles and Mary (Hayman) Whitehead.
If only I could find Charles and Mary Ann's marriage certificate.
Listed on the same page as Joseph was an Elizabeth Whitehead, born in the same quarter, same district and I found her death record about a year later. Wondering if she was his twin, I ordered the certificated. Turns out she was born 10 Nov 1869 in Shoreham to Joshua and Elizabeth (Beeching) Whitehead. She later died 22 Oct 1870 from convulsions from teething. As far as I know, there is no relation, but if anyone is related, let me know and you can have the certificates. I like knowing that her short life is now documented and here for a relative to find.


You know, I have a collateral ancestor who died at the age of 12 months from "teeth." I wonder if this is the same COD as your Elizabeth Whitehead? Now I'm not a mother, so I haven't experienced teething first-hand, but what could go so horribly wrong with teething that it could cause the death of a child? I'm morbidly fascinated!
ReplyDelete-Amy
I've been looking through NYS Census records from FamilySearch lately, and mortality schedules are mixed in with population schedules, which has made for some really interesting reading. I've seen toddlers as well as one 11 year-old listed as having died of "teething." Like Amy, I can't imagine how teething could kill anyone!
ReplyDeleteI wanted you to know that I find you an inspiration in the GeneaBlogger world. I've left you the Puckerbrush award at Genealogy Traces. You can pick it up now.
ReplyDeleteA very overdue thank you for this award and all of your comments. I appreciate all of your reading this blog!
ReplyDelete