From what I can find online, this appears to be a society that helps lower class protestants from England in Canada get health insurance and burial plots in hopes of gaining support for the monarchy. As Charles was Church of England, I assume he was a member and helped others with these things. There are some microfilms available that have membership rolls, that would be interesting to find. I am also trying to find a book or website that explains this society in some depth, but so far have come up short. More information as soon as I can find it:-)
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Sons of England Benevolent (or Benefit) Society
The obituary of my 3rd great grandfather, Charles Whitehead, invited members of the Sons of England Benevolent Society to his funeral.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Thanks for mentioning this society. My 3rd great-grandparents immigrated to Canada from a poorhouse in England in the late 1860s. I think they were Methodist. Maybe they were members too.
ReplyDelete