Yesterday I was looking up some people in the Syracuse city directories for a ROAGK person and found that not only do they list occupations and addresses, but marriage dates and to whom for women, death dates, who a women is a widow of and where a person moved to when they leave Syracuse. This is just amazing! Here's hoping other city directories are this fantastic!!!
Thursday, June 18, 2009
Syracuse, NY City Directories
City directories are not a source I have used often, due to there not being many online and my not knowing that the Syracuse library has the Buffalo ones on microfilm (now that I know I may have to move into the library next week:-).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I have made great use of city directories when I can find them. As you found out, there is some great info in them! Congrats on your discovery.
ReplyDeleteAmanda, there actually are thousands of city directories available online, but until recently, there was not one location to find the links. My new site, the Online City, County, and Rural Directories Site addresses this issue. While there is much work to do to get all the links I want onto the site, I have started to add many New York links. Some I have not yet added are located here: http://nycnuts.110mb.com/links.html#directories. Another location is here: http://www.wnylegacy.org/ (do an advanced search on the exact phrase city directory).
ReplyDeleteIf you come across any other online directories, please be sure to drop me a line. My contact info is on the site.
Happy Hunting!
Thank you lindalee and Miriam - your site is fantastic! I will be using it often:-)
ReplyDelete