Amy Coffin at the We Tree blog is challenging bloggers to become better genealogists, with a new prompt each week through her 52 Weeks to Better Genealogy:
Week 1 is: Go to your local public library branch. Make a note of the genealogy books in the collection that may help you gain research knowledge. Don’t forget to check the shelves in both the non-fiction section and the reference section. If you do not already have a library card, take the time to get one. If you have a genealogy blog, write about what you find in your library’s genealogy collection.
As my library is part of a large county library system, I went to their website and started searching for genealogy books that I have not yet read. I have requested the following, which will be delivered over the next few weeks as they become available:
Finding your Italian Ancestors: A Beginners Guide by Suzanne Russo Adams: I have a long list of microfilms to order from the FHC for my Italian ancestors. This book will hopefully help me see where to take the search beyond the FHC.
In Search of your German Roots: A Complete Guide to Tracing your Ancestors in the Germanic Areas of Europe by Angus Baxter: One of my goals this year is to trace my German ancestry further, this book is highly rated to help me do just that.
Tracing your Pauper Ancestors: A Guide for Family Historians by Robert Burlison: This guide is for tracing your English ancestors who were affected by poverty. As I have found some living in workhouses, this book will be very useful for finding additional records on them.
Genealogy by George G. Morgan: It's by George C. Morgan, how can I not read this?
Who Do You Think You Are?: The Essential Guide to Tracing your Family History by Megan Smolenyak: See above title, just replace author name:-)
Finding Anyone, Anywhere, Anywhen by Noel Montgomery Elliot: This should be useful in my goal to find living relatives this year.
Social Networking for Genealogists by Drew Smith: I have wanted to read this since it came out and my library has just recently bought it.
Google your Family Tree: Unlocking the Hidden Power of Google by Daniel M. Lynch: I need some assistance in setting up Google alerts for my ancestors.
The Oxford Guide to Library Research by Thomas Mann: There is a chapter in here on genealogy. It should also be helpful for my current schooling.
Monday, January 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Thanks for playing along with the challenge. Between you and me, some of the weeks were just created in order to get people back in their libraries. Sneaky marketing tool on my part. Best wishes on getting your MLIS. I didn't want my program to end. :(
ReplyDeleteAmy,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your wonderful blogger ideas. I always think that only a librarian can come up with such fantastic things! It always amazes me how many genealogists think they can find everything online, hopefully this will have them realize the wonderful things available at their local public library as well.
Amanda and Amy,
ReplyDeleteI was reading an essay today about the pros and cons of the new electronic readers (like Kindle). Undoubtedly they will be a great convenience for people who are trying to read while commuting etc.
One comment the essayist made was that there is something about holding paper in your hands and turning the pages that seems to lead to more reflection. Something to think about when doing research because obviously research will be enriched by thoughtful reflection.
So Amy should be forgiven for her "sneakiness" - sometimes the ends do justify the means!
Evelyn in Montreal
Evelyn,
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree with you, especially about the "sneakiness." I remember reading an article in The Atlantic about Google/online reading making us "stupid," but I know I cannot reflect as much reading online as on paper.