Monday, February 1, 2010

The Tale of January Research

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...  January - a new month, a new year, a new decade.  The worst of times was the cold of a Central New York winter, but it's mostly been a rather mild so winter, so I'm pretty lucky. For the best of time it was the first time in 4 months I didn't have school, which meant I could actually research, though mostly I organized.  I have decided monthly reviews make more sense than weekly ones, as I don't do enough genealogy things in a week to dedicate a whole post to it, usually.  Thanks Barbara for the amazing monthly reviews which gave me this idea!   


Best of times:

  • Research
    • Ordered death certificates for Katherine Weiss Eichhorn Gorndt and Charles Gorndt
    • Found census and civil war info for Charles Gorndt
    • Found Amelia Casillo's marriage date
    • Ordered 5 films from the FHC for Knockholt, Kent, England and Roccaromano, Casera, Italy
  • Organization
    • I transcribed two binders of records into my genealogy program
  • Education
    • Became a member of ProGen Group #6
    • Attended RUSA's (ALA)
      • Listed on Randy's
    • Joined APG
  • Transcription
    • Began transcription of the 1865 East Aurora, Erie, NY census for the
  • Reading:
    • Finding your Italian ancestors : a beginner's guide by Suzanne Russo Adams
    • Social networking for genealogists by Drew Smith
    • In search of your German roots : a complete guide to tracing your ancestors in the Germanic areas of Europe by Angus Baxter
  • Blog:

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's an amazing list for one month - I'm in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Greta! It's amazing how much free time I found with no classes for the month:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Amanda for the late Thank you for mentioning my name. Hope this method works for you, it has to be easier that doing it weekly. You sure accomplished a lot in January.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had a very good month! It has been a strange winter. I hate the bitter cold but it's preferable to mountains of snow.

    ReplyDelete