Monday, June 29, 2009

Family History Center

On Thursday I make my second trip to a Family History Center. The first, many months ago, did not go well, as the volunteers weren't very friendly and I felt like a nuisence. As such, I put off going back, but my experience Thursday was FANTASTIC!

The volunteers were very friendly and helped me with everything I needed. In a few weeks I should receive the following items:

Parish Registers of Halstead (Kent, England) 1561-1900
Bishop's transcripts of Halstead 1813-1898
Abstract Index of books of Chippawa 1796-1955
Registri dello slato civile di Roccaromana 1866-1886

Hopefully, I'll be able to push my Whitehead line back another generation or two with the Halstead items and find Charles Whitehead and Mary Ann Hayman's marriage.

My Eichhorn line should make an appearance in the Chippawa index.

The Roccaromana, Italy records are rather scary for me, as this will really be testing my reading skills. I have my Italian words to know ready, now if only the Casillo's I need are listed:-)

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear your second experiance was better. I've had bad and good experiances in the various genealogy places I go. But it pays to give them a second chance. By the way i like what you have done with your blog. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda - I LOVE reading your posts!! I really want to thank you, sweetie, for all the hard work you put into our family history!! THANK YOU!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had good and bad experiences, too. Of late I don't get to libraries as much as I would like. My problem is forgetting how to load and run the microfilm reading machines. It usually takes the volunteer staff several times to help me get going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news. Never give up going to the Family history centers and don't ever feel like a nuisance. That's why those centers are there: to serve the public and help them with their research. Sounds like this last time was really good. You do a great job of sharing - kudos for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your comments:-) I can't wait for the films to come in!

    ReplyDelete